Introduction

On this site, I posted a picture (almost) every day, from December 3, 2010 to December 3, 2011. Only 16 days during that period are without pictures. All but two pictures were taken on the day of the post. Sometimes the daily picture represented the day in a larger way; sometimes it was just a picture. Since I posted so often, some pictures are more interesting than others.

After one year of posting a daily picture, I posted pictures less frequently - whenever I had something worth sharing.

After two years of more casual posting, I decided to once again post a daily (or almost daily) picture in 2014.

I'm not a photographer, and most of these pictures were taken with an inexpensive digital camera. A few were taken with a cellphone camera. Click on any picture for a larger view.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Tutwiler


A couple of the wall murals in Tutwiler, Mississippi, taken from the site of the depot where W. C. Handy first heard the blues around 1903. I think the face in the right mural is supposed to be Sonny Boy Williamson, although it doesn't look much like him to me. Since my last visit, about 15 years ago, a marker has been erected at a spot which gave me chills. One of the decaying buildings in this very poor town once housed the Tutwiler Funeral Home, where Emmett Till's body was brought after his brutal murder.

No comments:

Post a Comment